Sunday 8 April 2018

Rethink

Hello!
I'm sorry this blog post is up an hour later than usual, to tell you the truth, I didn't have it typed and proofread in time ahaha!
This blog post is a bit different from my usual posts, I suppose it all came about after I watched this video on YouTube where Simon Sinek speaks about a number of important topics, but the one that stands out the most to me is what he has to say about social media and how it can impact people in more ways than we realise.
Click here if you're interested in watching the video, it completely blew my mind (in a good way!) and it certainly has me questioning and rethinking a few things.
(Watch from 3:46 to 7:51 to hear him talk about social media, but obviously watch the whole video too!)
So yeah I guess this blog post is coming from watching that video!


How do you want to spend your time?
Lately I've found that I've been less productive and I feel that it's because I'm constantly on my phone.
Whenever I'm bored. Whenever I'm too lazy to do anything else. Whenever I'm not focused. Literally whenever.
Don't worry, I'm not quitting Instagram (or blogging) again ahaha, I guess I'm just trying to find a balance between everything.
I'm really trying at the moment to live in the present and to be present and not get caught up with things that happened or things that are going to happen. I'd love to say that when I wake up the first thing I do is open the blinds and appreciate the weather and stretch and be thankful for living another day, but I don't.
I check my emails.
I check Instagram.
I check Snapchat.
I Google about 5 different things all at once.
I mindlessly scroll on my phone for longer than I'd like to admit.
What you do first thing in the morning really does set the tone for the rest of your day, so does a scattered, unorganised, mindless, anxious morning sound like a good start to the day? It doesn't for me anyway...
Technology really is fantastic, but I feel when it's used in the incorrect way it can have hugely negative results. Instagram is absolutely amazing for inspiration and to get ideas and to share what you're passionate about. But at the end of the day it's a highlight reel, it only shows everyone's best bits. The perfect food, the amazing holiday, the fun time with your friends, all of the positives. When you constantly see everyone else's 'perfect' lives it's quite easy to compare their 'perfect' with your real, raw, unedited reality. This obviously can create a feeling of unhappiness, anxiety, and it makes you feel as if you're missing something.
I know it's quite ironic that I'm writing this post about social media and posting it on the internet but I just wanted to share my views on it.
I'm all about that hashtag quality content but I guess sometimes it's nice to take your foot off the content-creating-pedal and just enjoy and experience life as it happens, instead of worrying about how to get the perfect picture of your coffee or taking 45 different pictures of your smoothie bowl in the morning.
I guess I'm just experimenting with things at the moment, something I feel everyone should do. Don't just take things for granted. Question things. Find what works for you. Find your balance. Don't just go with the flow, find YOUR flow and go with that.
Maybe I'm thinking about all of this because I have a blog and because I love sharing things online, I dunno, I guess I'm an over-thinker anyway.
But don't worry, I'm not quitting social media or anything, I'm just going to experiment with how I can be more mindful with it and how I can make positive changes in my own life so I can help others help themselves.
I just think it's good to remind yourself that social media is NOT the same thing as real life.
(I know that sounds so obvious, but it's so easy to get caught up in the likes/followers/posts/etc.)
Sorry for the rant but I just had to clear my mind!


I guess if you're to take anything away from this post it's to be more conscious of your consumption of social media.
Think before you post, think before you scroll, unfollow someone if they make you feel like shite, etc etc.
Sorry if I rambled on a bit there ahaha!
Big love,
Darragh
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Plant Powered Human | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig