Saturday 10 March 2018

Ethical Fashion

Howya!
This blog post is gonna be a bit different from my usual recipe posts etc ahaha but I just really wanted to talk about ethical fashion/clothes/companies/etc so here we go!


I wouldn't say that I'm fashionable but I've always been interested in clothes and colours and textures and all things design-related.
Lately I've become a lot more minimalistic when it comes to my clothes, meaning that I only own clothes that I actually wear. I don't have any clothes lying around gathering dust! Every item of clothing that I own, I actually wear, they all serve a purpose.
When I was going through my wardrobe it got me thinking about the ethical and eco-friendly clothes that I own.


I promise I'm not trying to sound preachy or better-than-you in this blog post. I'm just really passionate about this issue and even if I inspire just 1 person to be more conscious about their wardrobe then I've done my job!


I suppose I only started thinking about clothes and their impact on people and the planet when after I started eating a plant-based diet. I became aware of the impact that food has so that had me questioning if clothes have as much as an impact.
Turns out they do.
It's scary.
And what's even scarier is that very few people know about it, think about it, or even acknowledge it.


I forget how I found it but I watched a documentary called "The True Cost". It's absolutely fascinating and life-changing and since watching it I can honestly say that I can't look at companies in the fast fashion industry the same way.
This documentary focuses on fast fashion and the how it impacts the workers, the environment, and everything in between.
The contrast between the advertisement-filled and material-focused countries, and the under-developed and unfairly-ruled countries made me feel sick.
There was a part in the documentary when it kept cutting between the Black Friday sales in America and the extreme poverty and suffering in Bangladesh. I actually had to look away for a while because I couldn't understand how such a stark contrast could exist in the world.
At the end of the day, we're all human beings and I don't care what big companies say, we all deserve safety and rights. Basic human rights.


I also watched "For Tomorrow - The Toms Shoes Story" and it made me so happy to see that a company exists that cares so much about everything it does!
When the Toms crew delivered the shoes to the people who needed them, the excitement and appreciation of the people getting the shoes reminded me that it's so easy to get caught up in the things that we think are important. But, at the end of the day, it's the little things that matter the most.
You've gotta be thankful for everything you have in life, and if you have access to buy and wear a pair of shoes then you certainly have a lot to be thankful about.
It's so easy to take the basic things like shoes for granted. Not everyone is as lucky as us. Remember that.
At the end of the documentary I literally had chills. And I cried during it, not gonna lie!


Since becoming interested in ethical fashion companies and brands, I've fallen absolutely head over heels in love with Vegan Athletic.
Like oh. my. god.
Everything they do is beyond beautiful and classy and groovy and inspiring and just ridiculously brilliant.
Vegan Athletic is a vegan clothing company that makes high quality, ethically made athletic apparel. Their main focus is on cycling gear but recently they launched a range of 'tech-tees' that can be worn for any sport and just casually too.
I'm obsessed with everything VA do. Their branding, philosophy, focus, and just everything is so inspiring. I wish there were more companies that think and care like Vegan Athletic!
I have a VA cycling jersey, 2 tech-tees, and a bag. They're genuinely my favourite things ever.
Check out Vegan Athletic's websiteInstagramFacebook, and YouTube if you're interested!


I'm also in love with Toms.
I think they're the most amazing shoes ever.
I have 1 pair of the 'classic' Toms and they're actually made from recycled plastic, they're completely recyclable, and vegan too!
And I have 2 pairs of the Toms 'shoes', one all black pair and one red/pink pair, both vegan too!
Check out their websiteFacebookTwitterInstagram, and YouTube. And for every pair of shoes you buy, Toms give a pair of shoes to someone who needs them, and that's actually the soundest thing ever.


If you know me at all you'll know that I'm in looove with Ellie Goulding, so I was absolutely delighted when she did a collaboration with Daisy Jewellery and WWF.
Ellie is a UN Environment Global Goodwill Ambassador and has a strong voice when it comes to the environment and saving our planet.
Ellie collaborated with Daisy Jewellery to make a stunning bracelet and the proceeds of each bracelet sold go directly to WWF.
So of course I bought one.
It's my favourite thing ever, I love it.
I think they're still selling them so if you're interested you can check them out over on Daisy Jewellery's website!


Speaking of Ellie Goulding, I went to London in 2015 and 2017 for her Streets Of London charity concerts where all of the proceeds go straight to the SOL charity that deals with homelessness in London.
They were selling tote bags, posters, and t-shirts at the gig and since I love Ellie (and merch ahaha) I got one of everything. All of that money went to the SOL charity and the t-shirts were part of the Fair Wear Foundation which is an independent, non-profit organisation that works to improve conditions for workers in garment factories.
The grey t-shirt is from the concert in 2015 and the white t-shirt is from the concert in 2017.


Another company I love is ETHCS, they're an ethical vegan clothing company and I love the clothes they make.
Check out their websiteFacebookTwitterInstagram, and YouTube if you want to be inspired by amazing humans doing and creating amazing things that help our planet.
I have their VGANG classic tee and it's actually class like.


I'm not sure how ethical Doc Martens are ahaha but I have their vegan boots and shoes, so they're leather-free and at least they're vegan!


So there we have it, my thoughts on fast fashion and my fave ethical brands!
Let me know if you like this type of blog post because I'd love to talk more about ethical clothes and companies etc!


If you know where to find ethical/eco-friendly/vegan clothes in Ireland please let me know!
And if you know any cool online ethical companies give me a shout too either by email (plantpoweredhuman@gmail.com) or over on my Insta!
I hope I've inspired you a bit to think about your own wardrobe and see if you can include any more ethical and eco-friendly items!
Until next week, be kind and eat your veg.
Big love,
Darragh
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Plant Powered Human | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig